Is it safe to give your debit card details over the phone?
Tips / 19.09.2019
The rise of the Internet has allowed millions of people around the world to purchase the goods they want quickly and easily but in certain cases purchasers still need to provide payment data over the phone.
This is where critical questions arise – is it safe to give cvv number over the phone? And what do we need to do to protect our credit card data when making online payments? We are here to find out.
Is it secure to provide debit card information over the phone?
Generally speaking – yes. Debit cards (and credit cards for that matter) as well as reputable merchants employ a number of technologies that greatly increase the security level when making payments over the phone.
One of them is your credit/debit card number, which as an owner of the card only you should know, and another is a short code called CVV – an abbreviation which stands for card verification value.
Printed on the back of your card, the CVV is a 3-4 digit code and its intended goal is to provide additional security when making purchases. The CVV makes sure you are in possession of the card and not someone else as the code shouldn’t be known to anyone other than the card owner.
Despite all security measures you should never forget that fraudsters are always looking for ways to beat them and steal your credit/debit card information and quite possibly even your money! This is where you step in – by doing a few simple things you can further protect yourself and your earnings.
So here is what to pay attention to when providing card details, especially on the phone:
- If using the Internet, make sure the good or service you want to buy comes from a reputable web site. With that being said, always research the company offering the service or product beforehand.
- Never make your card details shown in public.
- Never provide your cvv number when asked on the phone or when processing a card payment in person. This is a sure sign of an impending fraud! CVV numbers are for online purchases only!
- When making a payment on the phone, always obtain the phone number from a trusted source and make the call directly.
- Always check your monthly bank statement thoroughly for charges you do not recognize.
How to accept card payments over the phone
Trading is a two-way street and, while you may purchase goods online on a regular basis, you can sell products and services online too. The picture hardly changes in the security field – when getting card payment details over the phone for an intended purchase you may be dealing with a cheater.
Fortunately there are technologies like myPOS Virtual Terminal that can protect you if you are the seller.
But what is myPOS Virtual Terminal?
Our virtual payment terminal is a very secure online payment portal that comes with various perks such as no monthly fee in the UK and the rest of Europe.
Virtual Terminal can help you accept card payments with no need for a physical payment terminal in your hands and in addition to this it comes with a bunch of other advantages such as:
- No need to install software;
- Support for all popular payment cards;
- Real-time transaction tracking from any location;
- Limited access to authorized persons only;
- MO/TO transactions processing directly from user account;
- Usability on any device – computer, smartphone or tablet;
How does myPOS Virtual Terminal work step by step?
The process of accepting payments over the phone with myPOS Virtual Terminal is both secure and very easy. You can even take card payments with your cell phone. Here’s how it works:
- The customer calls you on the phone to provide their payment details;
- You log into your myPOS account and enter cardholders data such as cardholder name, card number and expiration date and of course the amount of money required;
- Then click on the Submit button and that’s it!
It’s simple, isn’t it? As to security, we’ll make sure the transaction takes place on a secure page and you will receive your payment into your online merchant account in full and on time.
Giving debit or credit card details on the phone is never a totally secure process but with certain actions you can almost eliminate the risk of running into a fraudster. With myPOS Virtual Terminal you can be in the same position when selling goods online or on the phone. Making it a part of your life is more than easy – just sign up with us here or simply email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will more than happily introduce you to the myPOS world!
Share this post: