3D Secure Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
1. What is 3D Secure?
3D Secure is a free-of-charge service by Visa and Mastercard that lets users make online purchases securely by using a debit or credit card. Available only on 3D Secure merchant web sites, the service is also known as Verified by Visa (VBV) or Mastercard SecureCode (MSC). It uses password protection to authenticate customers as an added fraud prevention measure.
2. What benefits does 3D Secure bring?
3D Secure provides additional assurance by verifying you when making purchases on the Internet. You can be sure that any online merchant that offers VBV or MSC services is a legitimate commercial entity.
3. What do I need to do to start using 3D Secure?
3D Secure is automatically enabled on your card and no action is required on your side.
4. How much does 3D Secure cost?
3D Secure costs nothing. This service is free.
5. I have more than one card. Do I need to register all my cards separately?
This is not needed as 3D Secure is automatically enabled on all your cards.
6. I have just received a new card. Do I need to register it to use 3D Secure?
This is not needed as your new card is already 3D Secure-enabled.
7. How does 3D Secure work?
3D Secure works by integrating with a VBV or MSC retail web site. When reaching the checkout stage of purchasing items online, a new web page will open where you will be required to enter a One-time Password (OTP) you will receive on your mobile phone before you can proceed. This measure provides extra protection against online fraud.
8. What is One-time Password (OTP)?
A One-time Password is a passcode that is valid for only one login session or transaction on a computer system or other digital device. It comes to you in the form of an SMS message sent to your mobile phone and is valid for 15 minutes only.
9. I have not provided a mobile number to myPOS. Can I still make a 3D Secure online purchase?
3D Secure-enabled web sites will not allow you to complete a purchase without entering a one-time password sent to a mobile phone number. However, we automatically obtain the phone number you used to activate your myPOS card. This means that there’s no need for you to provide a mobile phone number. We suggest that you check this phone number and if there’s a change or other circumstances please call our Call Centre to provide us with updated information. If you purchase goods from a non 3D Secure-enabled web site, you will not be asked for this passcode.
10. How can I update or change my mobile phone number?
Only the wallet owner can change a mobile number linked to a specific myPOS Business debit card by contacting our Call Centre.
11. Is providing the OTP mandatory when making online purchases?
Websites that do not use 3D Secure will not require you to provide an OTP when making online purchases. 3D Secure-enabled web merchants will oblige you to provide an OTP since without it, you will not be able to complete your purchase.
12. I have not received an OTP. What do I do next?
After reaching the checkout stage of your online purchase and you initiate a payment, the OTP will be sent to your mobile phone within seconds. If you haven’t received an OTP, check if the phone number you have provided to myPOS is correct. You can also request the message to be sent again or to receive a phone call with the OTP 30 seconds after you have reached the checkout stage.
13. What happens if I enter the OTP incorrectly?
The transaction will fail after three unsuccessful attempts so you will have to start anew.
14. What happens if a supplementary cardholder is making an online transaction?
The OTP will be sent to the registered mobile phone number of the supplementary cardholder so make sure their contact details are updated with myPOS.
15. Can I use the OTP I received for another transaction?
No, one OTP is valid for one transaction only.
16. What should I do if no OTP window appears when making an online transaction?
Check if your online merchant participates in VBV or MSC. If this is so, the OTP window will appear as a new tab in your browser. If the merchant does not take part in VBV or MSC, an OTP window will not appear at all.
17. I received my OTP but the system does not accept it. What should I do?
First, make sure you enter your OTP correctly. If this is so and the problem remains, please start the purchase process again.
18. What is the personal message?
This is a personalized message that appears during every online purchase to make sure you are visiting a legitimate 3D Secure web site. It can be up to 30 characters long and you can use letters from A to Z, both capital and lower-case, spaces, dashes and apostrophes. In addition you can set this message to all cards you have at the moment or only to newly activated cards.
19. Is my personal information safe and secure?
Yes, your personal information is perfectly safe with myPOS.
20. Does the service save cookies on my computer?
The service uses only session cookies, which are temporarily saved and are automatically deleted when you log out or end the connection.